Built by N.A. Dadd & Son in 1888, it was his third and final locomotive, and the only survivor.
The engine’s early history is shrouded in mystery, although it’s believed to have been constructed for the Llybach Tramway in North Wales. No evidence of the locomotive at Llybach has yet come to light, but the Welsh name does give some credibility to this argument?
Y CARIAD was definitely purchased by the Door Valley Tramway in 1911, where it is known to have been converted from three-foot to two-foot gauge at the Door Valley workshops (the Llybach was also three-foot gauge).
Unusual in appearance it has a long “T” boiler and graceful curves, not dissimilar to the Glyn Valley Tramway engines. Under the skirt, the locomotive bears an uncanny resemblance to WINIFRED, which suggests Dadd had involvement in that earlier machine’s design?
Offered to Butler upon the closure of the Door Valley Tramway in 1934, the locomotive is a firm favourite among the Candlebridge crews.
Cylinders – 6″ x 9″
Driving wheels – 21″ (dia)
Boiler pressure – 140 psi
Tractive effort – 1620lbs (@75%bp)
Operational status –
Not in service – undergoing maintenance