Built by Garibaldi’s & Company for the ill-fated Port William Tramway in 1878. A tiny railway at just under a mile in length, it ran out onto the pierhead at Port William which accounted for the “glasshouse” design of the locomotive.
The pierhead sustained substantial damage during winter storms and the railway closed in 1882. WINIFRED was sold to the Door Valley Tramway and subsequently acquired by Dadd along with PRINCESS when the Door closed for business in 1885.
When Dadd was awarded the contract to build the Candlebridge Tramway in 1886, he took WINIFRED (and PRINCESS) with him, the gauge of the locomotives determining the gauge of the railway.
With a design that tends more toward locomotives built in the 1860s, the frames of the locomotive are fixed at either end of the firebox & cylinders. A small saddle tank carries an ample water supply, while coal is piled in the corner of the cab!
A comfortable engine to operate in the cooler months, it can be unpopular with the crews in the summer.
Cylinders – 6″ x 12″
Driving wheels – 25″ (dia)
Boiler pressure – 140 psi
Tractive effort – 1815lbs (@75%bp)
Operational status –
Not in service – undergoing overhaul