Built as a battery mining locomotive by Robson Engineering for the Dudley Colliery in 1952, the collieries were closed and the engine redundant by 1957.
It was virtually given to Butler as the answer to the railways motive power issues and extensively rebuilt at Boot Lane into its present form, with an air-cooled diesel generator in place of the batteries. However, the 1930s air-cooled Robinson engine proved troublesome from the outset and steam still ruled supreme at Candlebridge in the early 1960s. While the inaptly named WARRIOR saw sporadic use.
The locomotive was re-engined in 1967 with a Horner unit and it became a much-valued member of the fleet, seeing almost daily use, mostly on engineering trains, but it’s more than capable of hauling passenger trains when the need arises.
Re-engined again in 2016, this time with a new, more environmentally friendly Morse power Unit.