One of three locomotives built by Henry Hughes & Company for the Taplow Quarry Company in 1878.
The locomotive has undergone many alterations, both at the hands of the original builder & the quarry company. Rebuilt from an 0-4-0 to an 0-4-2 by its makers in 1897 and was the only engine from the original batch of three to survive.
SOLDIER was acquired from the Taplow Quarry Company upon closure in 1965. It is well suited to the sedate pace at Candlebridge and has proven itself several times over.
Cylinders – 7″ x 12″
Driving wheels – 28″ (dia)
Boiler pressure – 160 psi
Tractive effort – 2500lbs (@75%bp)
Operational status ::
not in service (undergoing overhaul)