Built by the Hunslet Engine Company for J. S. Fry & Sons, Bristol in 1888. It was acquired by the Allied Marrine & Locomotive Company in 1923, who sold it to Rose in 1965 following a complete overhaul. The engine is similar to those ordered by the Penrhyn Quarry Railway in 1882 & 1893, all four constructed have ultimately survived.
Substantially larger than the other engines at Candlebridge, it is somewhat overpowered for the railway’s needs. However, PEPPERMINT is a firm favourite of the locomotive crews and a crucial member of the fleet.
0-4-0 Saddle Tank
Cylinders – 10″ x 12″
Driving wheels – 25″ (dia)
Boiler pressure – 140 psi
Tractive effort – 5040lbs (@75%bp)
Operational status –
not in service (undergoing maintenance)