A SIMPLE STORY
There has been a railway in the vale since 1888 when Sir Francis Rose opened the Candlebridge Tramway. It was constructed by N.A. Dadd & Sons, the short two-foot gauge railway accessing the village of Candlebridge. They did an excellent job, keeping within the original quote, laying an almost level line between Candlebridge & Boot Lane.
The tramway was a relatively simple affair, Dadd & Sons even building & supplying the rolling-stock. Over the years, the tramway & village have retained an unaltered charm, that has endeared them to the public.
Visitors to the tramway begin their journey from Boot lane, where the railway’s engineering facilities are located, setting out through a cutting that ends with a short tunnel, and opens out along a ledge with the woods on one side, before reaching Finham passing loop. From here the railway joins and follows the river for over a mile, eventually crossing it and entering Candlebridge. The Tramway weaves its way through the village, sweeping over a magnificent viaduct and finally stopping at The Folly. After a brief halt, the train leaves Candlebridge and returns back along the valley to Boot Lane.